Date: 1922-1935
Medium: Fibre: felt
Classification: Costume and Textiles
Object number: 2015.1.62
Label text:Cloche hats were invented in 1908 by Caroline Reboux. They were very popular from 1922 to 1933.

In 2015 Carol Speirs donated over fifty hats to the Oakville Museum. The hats once belonged to her grandmother, Gladys Hill (b. 1882), her mother, Martha Hill-Speirs (b. 1922), and her aunts: Doris Hill-Paul (b. 1910), Ruth Hill-Cowan (b. 1912), Nancy Hill-Moreau (b. 1915), and Edith Hill (b. 1918). The hats were purchased primarily from millinery and departments stores in Toronto, with a few hats acquired from a relative who lived in New York.
DescriptionRed felt cloche hat; black shoelace bow at front made of several laces; red grosgrain ribbon rim and accents; accents are thin ribbon coming from the back and curving at the front next to the bow.
Not on display